Support & Community Forum
Get answers from our staff and other members of the XSplit community!

No sound when I'm on a Skype call and HoN is open

Ask for general help about Broadcaster.
Forum rules 1. Consult the FAQ and do a quick forum search first.
2. Post your hardware and internet specs in your profile before creating a thread.

No sound when I'm on a Skype call and HoN is open

by Necavi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:00 am

*General info*
Desktop Resolution: 1366 x 738
Stream Resolution: 854 x 480
Stream FPS: 30
Game (or content): Heroes of Newerth
Capture Method (Screen Regions/Game Source/3rd Party): Screen Region
Stream Provider: twitch.tv
Link to your stream: http://www.twitch.tv/diglet_

*Channel and Video Settings*
Preset: Default
Quality: Not Set
VBV Max Bitrate: 1000
VBV Buffer: 1000

*Audio Settings*
Format: xx KHz / 16 bit Stereo or Mono? 44.100 KHz 16 bit stereo
Bitrate: 64000

Describe what you specifically would like to improve or get help with:

For some reason xsplit and Heroes of Newerth won't have sound working at both times. As of now if I start xsplit before HoN, there is no sound in HoN and I am unable to talk in game. If I start HoN before xsplit, there is no sound in my stream, game sounds or music, but my microphone works. Exclusive mode is turned off for my headset. I do not adjust any settings, it is just how the sound is working and I am not sure what is causing it. Please help, thank you.
Necavi
XSplit User
CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU ~1.5 GHz
RAM: 3072 MB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Internet Connection: Internet Connection

Re: Buggy Sound

by Augustine » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Necavi,

First, please uninstall XSplit using Revo Uninstaller (Advanced Mode, remove all leftover files and folders) then install XSplit a fresh copy of XSplit (run as Administrator).

Second, please check your in the game volume and ensure that it is turned up to a healthy level.

Third, please check your XSplit volume controls and make sure they're turned up/not muted as well.

Fourth, please check if your Playback and Recording settings in Windows are in order. Go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback and check that your your sound source is set as the default device.

Still in Control Panel > Sound > Playback, open the Properties of your sound source and check that the following are set:

General > Device Usage > Use this device (enable)
Levels > Make sure it is set high enough to be heard
Enhancements > Disable all enhancements
Advanced > Default Format > Set this to 16 bit, 44100 Hz (the same as your Audio Encoding Format in XSplit)

then click OK.

Now go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording and open the Properties of your microphone and check that the following are set:

General > Device Usage > Use this device (enable)
Levels > Make sure it is set high enough to be heard (use a boost if necessary)
Enhancements > Disable all enhancements
Advanced > Default Format > Set this to 16 bit, 44100 Hz (the same as your Audio Encoding Format in XSplit)

then click OK.

Fifth, if you know who your sound card's manufacturer is, please go to their website and download and install the latest drivers. In case you don't or if you're using an internal sound card, go to your motherboard's web site and download the audio drivers from there. Speccy can help you determine who your sound card's manufacturer is.

After trying all that, please tell us your results.
Augustine
Support Staff

by Necavi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:36 pm

I did all of the steps already and the sound is still buggy. I am still not sure as to what the issue is ):
Necavi
XSplit User

by Necavi » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 am

Ok I found the problem. It is when I am in a skype call that there is a problem. If I am in a skype call and HoN is open before xsplit, there is no sound in xsplit. However if I am not in a skype call, xsplit recognizes the sound from my music and hon. Also when I try to start a skype call when xsplit is open, it says there is a problem with the recording device. Do you have any solutions for this? I need to use skype as well so using another program kind of isn't an option. Any insight or help would be appreciate :)
Necavi
XSplit User

by Augustine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 am

Okay, let's try something and tell us your results after:

Control Panel > Sound > Recording and open the Properties of your microphone then go to Advanced and under Exclusive mode, uncheck the box that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."

- - - - -

If I read your first reply right, you've done this for your headset but not yet for your microphone so it will be interesting to see how this will affect your sound.
Augustine
Support Staff

by Necavi » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

I've tried that as well, and the issue still persists
Necavi
XSplit User

by Augustine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Have you tried uninstalling Skype and installing the latest version?
Augustine
Support Staff

by Augustine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:42 am

Also when I try to start a skype call when xsplit is open, it says there is a problem with the recording device.

Please post a screenshot of Skype open with this error message (and with XSpit and HoN in the background/minimized) so that we can take a closer look at what might be happening.

By the way, I renamed the topic of this thread to make it more specific and moved your post about the mute microphone button not working to a new topic.
Augustine
Support Staff

Re: No sound when I'm on a Skype call and HoN is open

by Necavi » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:03 pm

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u43 ... 5c7e06.png

Hon was open, I had just closed it. It seems to be an issue if I start a broadcast, then try to start a skype call. If i close xsplit and restart skype, then I can make a call
Necavi
XSplit User

by Necavi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Sound also sometimes doesn't work when I'm not in a skype call. If HoN is open before my stream, there is still sometimes no sound in xsplit, which is odd. I still have yet to change any settings or alter anything. Any insight to the problems going on? I have looked through skype tons of times to see if there is something that has skype take exclusive control of my headset but there is no option, only in my audio controls and that is unchecked so I don't know.
Necavi
XSplit User

by Necavi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Ok I just noticed yet another problem, if I have HoN open and xsplit (skype is closed), there is no sound on youtube videos. This is again very confusing, still have no clue whats going on ):
Necavi
XSplit User

by Necavi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 am

Any insight to this problem? It still exists and I would like to have it fixed. I feel it is still a problem with xsplit because I can have a skype call and play HoN without any problems.
Necavi
XSplit User

by Augustine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 am

Necavi wrote:http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u437/diglet_/925c7e06.png

Hon was open, I had just closed it. It seems to be an issue if I start a broadcast, then try to start a skype call. If i close xsplit and restart skype, then I can make a call

I don't see the error message in the screenshot you posted.

Necavi wrote:Sound also sometimes doesn't work when I'm not in a skype call. If HoN is open before my stream, there is still sometimes no sound in xsplit, which is odd. I still have yet to change any settings or alter anything. Any insight to the problems going on? I have looked through skype tons of times to see if there is something that has skype take exclusive control of my headset but there is no option, only in my audio controls and that is unchecked so I don't know.

Ok I just noticed yet another problem, if I have HoN open and xsplit (skype is closed), there is no sound on youtube videos. This is again very confusing, still have no clue whats going on ):

Any insight to this problem? It still exists and I would like to have it fixed. I feel it is still a problem with xsplit because I can have a skype call and play HoN without any problems.

To recap, these are your problems:
- There is no sound when I'm on a Skype call and HoN is open
- If HoN is open before you start streaming, sometimes there is no sound in XSplit
- If you have HoN and XSplit open, there is no sound when you try to play a YouTube video in your web browser

Suggestions:

- Try using a much older version of Skype. You can get one here. This will help us eliminate possibilities.
- What is your audio management software? This is usually named after your audio device (for example "Realtek HD Audio Manager"). I suggest you explore it and tinker with the options. There could be something there (i.e. features you cannot see in the Sound options in Control Panel) that could be causing your problems.

Please tell us what you find after you've tried doing the above.
Augustine
Support Staff

by Necavi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 am

The error message is right below the call buttons. "Problem with playback device".

The older version of skype didn't help. The audio manager I have is Realtek Audio and I did some googling but there wasn't anything that solved the problem
Necavi
XSplit User

by Augustine » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 am

Try running all three programs in Admin mode (Right click on the program then choose "Run as Administrator."
Augustine
Support Staff

by Necavi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Running everything in admin didn't work (I opened HoN before starting the broadcast and there was no sound in my stream). I also noticed another error message in skype. It says that it cannot access my sound card. "Can't access your sound card. Skype needs to access your computer's sound card to make calls. Try restarting your computer to help skype find your sound card." I only get this message if xsplit is open before skype. Maybe this will provide more insight to the problem?
Necavi
XSplit User

by Melvin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 am

I think its due to the default behavior of Windows when it detects a communication activity. Could you right click the speaker icon in the taskbar, and then select Recording Device, and then go to the 'Communications' tab. Then select the 'Do Nothing' option and save changes.

I believe this should fix your issue regarding not having sound (or a low sound) when on a Skype call. Let me know.

Necavi wrote:Ok I found the problem. It is when I am in a skype call that there is a problem. If I am in a skype call and HoN is open before xsplit, there is no sound in xsplit. However if I am not in a skype call, xsplit recognizes the sound from my music and hon. Also when I try to start a skype call when xsplit is open, it says there is a problem with the recording device. Do you have any solutions for this? I need to use skype as well so using another program kind of isn't an option. Any insight or help would be appreciate :)
Melvin
Forum Administrator
CPU: i7-2600k
RAM: 8gb
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Capture Card: None

by Augustine » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 am

Glad you've shared that error message. It does provide insight.

First, try what Melvin said above. If it doesn't solve it, try what I said below:

Please try this: Go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback and open the Properties of your speaker then go to Advanced and under Exclusive mode, uncheck the box that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."

If that does not work, then please try the strategies in this Skype thread that deal with the error message you posted.
Augustine
Support Staff

by Necavi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 pm

I already did what Melvin said. Skype lowers the volume of other programs when you join a call unless you change the options (which I did) but that isn't the problem. There is sound in my headset however not in the stream.

I also did what you said augustine before and it did not solve any problems. Also the skype thread provided nothing of use, I uninstalled/reinstalled completely when I tried the beta version of skype that you suggested earlier.
Necavi
XSplit User

by Augustine » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 am

Augustine
Support Staff