Support & Community Forum
Get answers from our staff and other members of the XSplit community!

AverMedia Capture Card

Ask for general help about Broadcaster.
Forum rules 1. Consult the FAQ and do a quick forum search first.
2. Post your hardware and internet specs in your profile before creating a thread.

AverMedia Capture Card

by TeKSyPH » Aug 15, 2012

So, AverMedia Capture Card would work for streaming to twitch.tv, with using XSplit for scene changes, and for streaming games like SC2 correct? I've been trying to use XSplit directly, but I am getting an intense lag spike every 5-10 seconds while broadcasting while in game. No matter what settings, resolutions I use. I've been trouble shooting for a couple days and have tried just about everything imaginable.
TeKSyPH
XSplit User
CPU: AMD FX(TM)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
RAM: 12288MB RAM - DDR3 1333
Graphics Card: HD 5970 4GB DDR5 SIX DP PCI-E BLACK
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit
Internet Connection: Internet Connection

Re: AverMedia Capture Card

by Augustine » Aug 15, 2012

Hi TekSyPH,

Just to cover all our bases, have you tried following the instructions here?
Augustine
Support Staff
Internet Connection: download/upload

Yes, sorry. So we're clear, I was curious asking about the Card, I do not currently have it. I've been having trouble getting XSplit to work, so I was curious about possibly getting the card.
TeKSyPH
XSplit User

by SwiftWave » Aug 15, 2012

Unfortunately the Avermedia Cards do not handle the encoding through XSplit (I only have experience with the Avermedia Live Gamer HD, but I assume it's the same with the others). It comes with software; RECentral, but it uses a different codec and has a lot of different settings.

In my experience;

RECentral method

It took away 5 FPS total while streaming on 4000 bitrate 1920x1080. Yes, it does completely take the load off.. but, RECentral as it is right now hardly gives you anywhere near the customisation XSplit does. There's no scenes, for example.

XSplit

The only load the card will take off is the capturing.. Which leaves your Processor to do the encoding. Unfortunately, this means a big FPS drop for most people.
I myself have reverted to a Dual-PC Setup which is now working very smooth, after 2-3 days full of tweaking and testing.

Also, bear in mind that the quality seen on 4000-6000 bitrate on RECentral is nowhere near the quality of 2500-3000 Bitrate on XSplit's default setting.

Hope this helps in your decision.
High/Advanced Experience with:
- AVerMedia Live Gamer HD
- BlackMagic Intensity Pro
- Input-output, splitters, virtual/physical setups
- XSplit
- Single-PC Setup & Dual PC-Setup

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
- GrooveShark XSplit Overlay
- AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Guide
SwiftWave
Premium User and Moderator
CPU: i7-3930k
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit
Capture Card: Avermedia Live Gamer HD
Internet Connection: 120/10

Hrm, thanks. I'm just not sure what to decide. XSplit causes my game to spike recently. I am actually okay on FPS but it frequently jumps. Scenes are a big part of why I want to use XSplit still, for teams/sponsor overlays etc. Not sure where to go. But thanks for the reply.
TeKSyPH
XSplit User

I can definitely understand that, in my honest opinion.. RECentral isn't the way to go.. ever, it's just too demanding on bitrate to have decent quality. Even in windowed screen. Maybe a few updates later, but I'd definitely save your money if you're thinking on purchasing this.

I was very dissapointed to see that it had almost the same result on my FPS as screen capture did, I resorted to a Dual-PC setup, but not every wants to spend that much money on just getting your stream to work. ;D

Good luck!
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

I have several computers at home, I could do dual PC, but I do not know much about it. It works for all games yes?
TeKSyPH
XSplit User

Yes, the Capture card retrieves the entire screen so it just captures everything you transmit. It captures exactly what you see on your main PC.
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

by PinealoGIK » Aug 15, 2012

I've also tried the AVerMedia Card, it's fantastic for FPS, but the quality is no where near Xsplit. Their codec is just...plain bad.

So it's either, use ReCentral go no performance it and stream in poor quality or use Xsplit and take the performance hit in the face.

With that said, I'm really thinking about going Dual PC, but I have no idea what kind of PC I would need to handle a stream in 720p, or 1080p. What would be the bare minimum? Approximatel how much would this cost me? Can I just buy a crappy PC with PCE 1.0 on it, plug the card and go? What is the bare minimum?
PinealoGIK
XSplit User

Yeah, I also want to know more about Dual PC, as I have 5 computers all good enough to run SC2 on High. How do I use that one for streaming and use this one for the gameplay?
TeKSyPH
XSplit User

facesit wrote:I've also tried the AVerMedia Card, it's fantastic for FPS, but the quality is no where near Xsplit. Their codec is just...plain bad.

So it's either, use ReCentral go no performance it and stream in poor quality or use Xsplit and take the performance hit in the face.

With that said, I'm really thinking about going Dual PC, but I have no idea what kind of PC I would need to handle a stream in 720p, or 1080p. What would be the bare minimum? Approximatel how much would this cost me? Can I just buy a crappy PC with PCE 1.0 on it, plug the card and go? What is the bare minimum?

I'd have no idea to what would be the bare minimum, I'm running a pretty juicy processor myself on my Dedicated System. It all depends on your budget really, how much are you willing to spend?

My build includes;

- i7 980 (6-core @4.3GHz)
- 6GB 1600Mhz Memory.

I run two streams at once, one in HD (3500 bitrate & faster Preset) and one in "SD" (1750 bitrate and superfast Preset) Both streams run on 720P @60FPS

To give you an example of how they look;
HD: http://www.twitch.tv/wavehd/b/328708597
SD: http://www.twitch.tv/sirplease/b/328708601

Skip to about a minute to see some action.

I think there's a lot of space here, you don't need anything spectacular unless you want to really save on bitrate by being able to use lower presets.

TeKSyPH wrote:Yeah, I also want to know more about Dual PC, as I have 5 computers all good enough to run SC2 on High. How do I use that one for streaming and use this one for the gameplay?

You'll need;
A Capture card. (BlackMagic, AverMedia, Etc)
A decent CPU.

The CPU will have to be able to fit your needs, there's a few guides out there that show a rough estimate of what certain CPU's can handle. I am not in the possession of a link at the moment and I'm about to fall asleep. xD

The idea is Simple, the setup would look something like this;

Main PC with a Graphics Card that can output to two outputs (Preferably HDMI, but it depends on what the Capture Card can receive, if you're forced to use DVI, get a DVI -> HDMI converter for around $10. No difference in quality, they're both Digital Signals, no worries.

You setup the Graphics Card to duplicate the screen to the 2nd output, which leads into the Second Computer's Capture Card.

After you've successfully set that up, you can easily connect the Capture Card to XSplit.
WARNING: Make sure the card supports inputs and outputs you will be using.

I've had a bad experience with BlackMagic, because it was limited to 1080p@24FPS. :/
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

TeKSyPH wrote:Yeah, I also want to know more about Dual PC, as I have 5 computers all good enough to run SC2 on High. How do I use that one for streaming and use this one for the gameplay?

Technically it's not that hard, take a look at this screenshot I took (from AVerMedia Central). I'm thinking you'll need something like that?

PinealoGIK
XSplit User

According to the above screenshot, you'll be going through the Capture Card and then to your Monitor.. I've found this to be very ineffective in my previous Setup, because if the card doesn't support a certain resolution at a certain Hertz, it will not work.

I'd definitely get slaughtered by this because I use a 120Hz Screen.
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

SwiftWave wrote:
facesit wrote:I've also tried the AVerMedia Card, it's fantastic for FPS, but the quality is no where near Xsplit. Their codec is just...plain bad.

I'd have no idea to what would be the bare minimum, I'm running a pretty juicy processor myself on my Dedicated System. It all depends on your budget really, how much are you willing to spend?

My build includes;

- i7 980 (6-core @4.3GHz)
- 6GB 1600Mhz Memory.

I run two streams at once, one in HD (3500 bitrate & faster Preset) and one in "SD" (1750 bitrate and superfast Preset) Both streams run on 720P @60FPS

To give you an example of how they look;
HD: http://www.twitch.tv/wavehd/b/328708597
SD: http://www.twitch.tv/sirplease/b/328708601

Skip to about a minute to see some action.

I think there's a lot of space here, you don't need anything spectacular unless you want to really save on bitrate by being able to use lower presets.

You'll need;
A Capture card. (BlackMagic, AverMedia, Etc)
A decent CPU.

The CPU will have to be able to fit your needs, there's a few guides out there that show a rough estimate of what certain CPU's can handle. I am not in the possession of a link at the moment and I'm about to fall asleep. xD

The idea is Simple, the setup would look something like this;

Main PC with a Graphics Card that can output to two outputs (Preferably HDMI, but it depends on what the Capture Card can receive, if you're forced to use DVI, get a DVI -> HDMI converter for around $10. No difference in quality, they're both Digital Signals, no worries.

You setup the Graphics Card to duplicate the screen to the 2nd output, which leads into the Second Computer's Capture Card.

After you've successfully set that up, you can easily connect the Capture Card to XSplit.
WARNING: Make sure the card supports inputs and outputs you will be using.

I've had a bad experience with BlackMagic, because it was limited to 1080p@24FPS. :/

Wow, nice post!

So If I understand right, what I could do is:

I got my main PC. It got a GTX 680 in it, with 2 output (1 DVI and 1 HDMI). Both output set to duplicate. Then, first output (DVI) goes in my main monitor, second output (HDMI) goes into the second pc inside the "HDMI in' of the capture card? Where do I control Xsplit? Do I need a second monitor? Thanks :O

Edited: I'm thinking, just plug a monitor on the second PC video card and simply control Xsplit from there and select the AVerMedia as a capture device? Or can you plug a monitor in the output of the capture card and config xsplit from there?
PinealoGIK
XSplit User

Yes, you may need to fiddle a bit at the start as for me it would automaticly choose the Avermedia as the main screen and I'd only see the extended area on my monitor.

I am currently not using a second monitor, I've installed and setup the second PC with XSplit, Drivers for Capture card and and everything required with my monitor. After that, I installed Teamviewer and setup a permanent password and IP.

Now all I do is, launch both computers, wait a bit and attempt the Teamviewer connection from my main computer and voila, I can control the 2nd Computer.

XSplit will have to be run on the 2nd Computer, yes. Along with the capture card.
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

SwiftWave wrote:Yes, you may need to fiddle a bit at the start as for me it would automaticly choose the Avermedia as the main screen and I'd only see the extended area on my monitor.

I am currently not using a second monitor, I've installed and setup the second PC with XSplit, Drivers for Capture card and and everything required with my monitor. After that, I installed Teamviewer and setup a permanent password and IP.

Now all I do is, launch both computers, wait a bit and attempt the Teamviewer connection from my main computer and voila, I can control the 2nd Computer.

XSplit will have to be run on the 2nd Computer, yes. Along with the capture card.

Teamviewer, what a wonderful idea! Didn't even think about that, yet I'm using remote desktop 8 hours+ a day, loll.

So then, you don't even need a video card on that other PC, just the capture card, correct?
PinealoGIK
XSplit User

I personally crammed a GT 640 in there, but it's really just sitting there doing nothing. You'd be fine with anything that can handle starting up XSplit's preview window.
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

SwiftWave wrote:I personally crammed a GT 640 in there, but it's really just sitting there doing nothing. You'd be fine with anything that can handle starting up XSplit's preview window.

Cool thanks, you have been very very helpful. I think I might just try that setup, and see how it goes. Now, I just need to find a PC that would handle the streaming properly. Thanks again good sir!
PinealoGIK
XSplit User

Keep in mind that the CPU will need to be good at video encoding, i7 CPU's are very good in this area.

And you're welcome, good luck! :]
- XSplit

My Guides:
- Bitrates & Presets
SwiftWave

by Lirikk » Aug 16, 2012

SwiftWave wrote:Keep in mind that the CPU will need to be good at video encoding, i7 CPU's are very good in this area.

And you're welcome, good luck! :]

Very helpful information and so I don't make a new thread... what would you say about a Q6600 on a second PC that would be doing the encoding?
Lirikk
XSplit User
CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.1ghz
RAM: 8 gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
Internet Connection: 50 down, 20 up