Support & Community Forum
Get answers from our staff and other members of the XSplit community!

Bandwidth test and twitch EU servers

Report bugs and defects that you might have encountered with Broadcaster.
Forum rules Reporting a bug? Kindly read the following first:
1. Check the Release Notes (Known Issues) first to make sure you're not reporting something we already know.
2. Consult the FAQ and do a quick forum search about the issue.
3. Post your hardware and internet specs in your profile before creating a thread.

Bandwidth test and twitch EU servers

by croaton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 am

Evening.

I've had some problems with the bandwidth to Twitch.tv's servers and the problem seems to be on your end for some reason.

When trying the "Test Bandwidth" option on "Edit Channels" I get nowhere near my actual upload speed, but when using a javascript that "re-routes the outgoing bandwidth from your streaming program through localhost, then directly to the twitchtv ingestion server", thus essentially bypassing xsplit I get around 3 times the bandwidth.

The javascript and how to use it is detailed here: http://natf2.com/topics/4507-xsplit-streaming-201-unlocking-hidden-bandwidth-with-tcprelay

Is this something you're aware of and is there anything you can do to fix it?

I think the source of all my problems might be as simple as this line "if your bitrate setting is equally high (>2000 kbps) then you may find that the tester slightly undershoots the target of MBR + ABR"

Does this mean that the bandwidth tester will undershoot bitrates over 2k? That will explain why my bandwidth seemingly capped at just a bit too low for all decent bitrates.

It appears I have solved my own problem, because of the bandwidth tester's problems I misjudged my connection to the twitch ingestion servers. By setting the bitrate to 14000kbps the bandwidth tester showed speeds around 4000-7000kbps (which still is a tenth of my upload speed.. Shitty routing to Europe is the problem here) which is enough for me for now.
croaton
XSplit User

Re: Bandwidth test and twitch EU servers

by MSgtGunny » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:02 am

The most i've ever seen on a twitch server (and this was when the server was relatively new and no one knew about it) was about 14000kbps, I would say an average good server could give you up to 8000 depending on the time of day/day/other events. Some are worse than others, and the bandwidth tester isn't flawed (the arbitrary green yellow red light thing is though). If you click more details and see what your bitrate is averaging or hovers around, then that should be good.
Where you can follow me:
ImageImageImage
MSgtGunny
Gunny Badge
CPU: Core i7 920 C0/C1 stepping
RAM: 18 gb ddr3 running at 1333mhz, 7-7-7-20
Graphics Card: 1 GTX 560 Ti
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Capture Card: Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Internet Connection: FiOS at home, T3 line at school

by croaton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:40 pm

What my bitrate hovers around depends on what bitrate I try to test.

If I try to test 14000 I get around 5-6000. If I test 3400 I hover around 3000.
croaton
XSplit User

by MSgtGunny » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 am

Make sure those tests were done one right after another. But if you test at 14000 and see that it never dips below 5000, then you should be able to stream very safely at 4000, most likely closer to 4800 but 4000 is nice and even.
Where you can follow me:
ImageImageImage
MSgtGunny
Gunny Badge
CPU: Core i7 920 C0/C1 stepping
RAM: 18 gb ddr3 running at 1333mhz, 7-7-7-20
Graphics Card: 1 GTX 560 Ti
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Capture Card: Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Internet Connection: FiOS at home, T3 line at school