Support & Community Forum
Get answers from our staff and other members of the XSplit community!

Make it as fast as OBS

What do you think of XSplit? How can we make it better? Post feedback on what we can improve.
Forum rules Please check the Forum Guidelines first before posting. Threads that do not comply with our guidelines will not be replied to by the staff.

Make it as fast as OBS

by JohnnyAvean » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:12 pm

I've been sticking with XSplit since start and mostly ignored other software like FFSplit which really didnt perform any better and lacked tons of features compared to XSplit.

Now there is a new software out which performs alot better than ive ever experienced. Its called OBS. Its normally around 30-50 fps more in OBS compared to XSplit in same settings. But also the software is very fast while XSplit tends to be very slow and hangs since its a flash based gui right ?

XSplit has alot of cool features, especially with its overlays which makes it king. But i really hope you guys take a look at OBS and see why its performing so much better.
JohnnyAvean
XSplit User
CPU: I7-960
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Graphics Card: nVIDIA GTX580
Operating System: Windows 8 64-Bit
Capture Card: Avermedia Live Gamer HD
Internet Connection: Fiber 25Mbit/25Mbit

Re: Make it as fast as OBS

by Camfak » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:42 pm

GOD YES PLEASE
Feels stupid that a FREE PROGRAM is better then XSplit that I've paid for. When you have OBS on you barely feel that you are streaming.
No fps-drops, nothing. With XSplit you get fps drops and the whole computer gets reaallyreally slow. Takes forever to start the stream etcetc. OBS is so incredible smooth and delivers better quality on your stream with the same settings.

You developers should really look into that program to see what they got that makes it so good.
Camfak
XSplit User

by HellGreen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 am

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. Allow me to address a few items.

Our GUI is not Flash based, it's traditional Windows form based. We do acknowledge the UI has grown clunky over time, but it's partly due to all the added functionality that's been attached over time. I think it's unfair to compare a young unfinished product to XSplit in it's current stage. If you compare XSplit pre 1.0 (aka. same age ;) the UI's are pretty similar in response time. We already have a patch planned that will make the UI faster and feel better again. We just chose to focus on adding new features (like capture card support, hardware encoding etc), rather than optimizing UI responsiveness for a long time. It's all about prioritizing tasks, and we know where we can make things better :)

With XSplit v. 1.2 which will be public within a few more weeks, we plan to improve login time as well as introduce the new UI improvements.

As for performance between streaming apps, we do regular benchmarks and we do not see a notable difference in our test lab. There might be a few FPS difference depending on the game, but if set up right (comparing apples and apples etc), there's little to none. As for stream quality, to be frank, that's really absurd to suggest, since we use the same encoder in x264. Use the same settings and you'll get the same quality - it's a hard fact. There's many parameters in streaming, so I'm not saying it's impossible to create, but it definitely shouldn't be so - that's all. :)

Thanks,
For the latest guides and beta versions (and occasional contents to win XSplit) follow us on our social media.
Image Like us on Facebook Image Follow us on Twitter
HellGreen
Support Boss
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: ATI HD7850
Operating System: Win 7 x64
Internet Connection: >9000 bps

by FlatLine » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 am

I'm glad to see Xsplit is still being worked on...haven't seen an update for quite some time

Can't wait for 1.2

The only difference between Xsplit and OBS is features/cpu resources

Xsplit has more features than OBS but b/c of that it tends to be a bit more demanding for your cpu than OBS
ImageImage
FlatLine
XSplit User
CPU: i5-2500k
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
Graphics Card: HD 6790 1GB 256-bit
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Internet Connection: 20MB Download/1.5MB Upload

by HellGreen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 am

FlatLine wrote:Xsplit has more features than OBS but b/c of that it tends to be a bit more demanding for your cpu than OBS

I have to disagree there, but feel free to back it up with data ;)
It is possible to do the same test and measure the results. We do not see a particular difference though we offer more features. Most of our features can be disabled, or not activated which makes the test comparable.
For the latest guides and beta versions (and occasional contents to win XSplit) follow us on our social media.
HellGreen
Support Boss

by Primula » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I've decided to switch to using OBS for testing, though I still have my XSplit license for a while or something, not sure when it ends. >-<

Each of them have their advantages, but I'm sort of leaning towards OBS.
It's providing a fair few functionalities that I used in XSplit and considering it's open-source, that can only get better.. plus it's free.

The only thing which XSplit has that I used which OBS doesn't is the alpha settings.. and that's not really worth the subscription.
Edit: Nevermind, OBS has alpha settings.

A big difference I've noticed from just starting each program up is the load times. OBS loads instantly whereas XSplit takes at least 40 seconds and also XSplit is a bit sluggish when you're changing settings.
I'm not sure why this is and maybe it's just me, but whatever.
(Tested 5 times on a high-end PC)

Oh, and for some unknown reason (I'm not sure if this is working as intended or what), XSplit seems to limit my FPS in games to what is set in XSplit.
Example: Streaming Osu! with 'Unlimited FPS' setting in-game and 30 FPS setting in XSplit, Osu! drops to 30FPS, which makes it unplayable so I have to change the FPS in XSplit to 60 (apparently not recommended) which still causes a bit of noticeable delay in a game like Osu!
Primula
XSplit User

by HellGreen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 am

Primula wrote:A big difference I've noticed from just starting each program up is the load times. OBS loads instantly whereas XSplit takes at least 40 seconds and also XSplit is a bit sluggish when you're changing settings.

Admittedly this is a fact! But not for long. When we release XSplit v. 1.2 (later this year) we have optimized loading time and overall UI response time. But I do have to say this is a natural occurrence in software. It's not exactly fair to compare XSplit v. 1.1 with OBS beta. ;). The only reason we have longer login times and likely always will, is because we validate the account. OpenSource software don't need to do that.

Primula wrote:Oh, and for some unknown reason (I'm not sure if this is working as intended or what), XSplit seems to limit my FPS in games to what is set in XSplit.

While it definitely can look like it, it is not the case. It a coincidence and only related to the capture performance of your computer in combination with the capture method of course. Again, with our next XSplit release we have optimized this too, and you'll see better performance overall.
HellGreen
Support Boss

by chuxwow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I've stopped using xsplit completely at this point, with no plans to renew. OBS is extremely fast, and has little to no impact on ingame FPS for me. Xsplit demolishes my computer. I can stream in OBS at 1080p without much issue, but attempting 1080p in Xsplit results in an unplayable game. I've been using xsplit for a long time. I hope that an open source, and true competitor (unlike FFSplit) like OBS makes this development team step up their game, and make xsplit less clunky, and more streamlined worthy of a subscription.
chuxwow
XSplit User

by Reybilingue » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:10 am

HellGreen wrote:
Primula wrote:A big difference I've noticed from just starting each program up is the load times. OBS loads instantly whereas XSplit takes at least 40 seconds and also XSplit is a bit sluggish when you're changing settings.

Admittedly this is a fact! But not for long. When we release XSplit v. 1.2 (later this year) we have optimized loading time and overall UI response time. But I do have to say this is a natural occurrence in software. It's not exactly fair to compare XSplit v. 1.1 with OBS beta. ;). The only reason we have longer login times and likely always will, is because we validate the account. OpenSource software don't need to do that.

Primula wrote:Oh, and for some unknown reason (I'm not sure if this is working as intended or what), XSplit seems to limit my FPS in games to what is set in XSplit.

While it definitely can look like it, it is not the case. It a coincidence and only related to the capture performance of your computer in combination with the capture method of course. Again, with our next XSplit release we have optimized this too, and you'll see better performance overall.

First I want to say that I am a fan of Xsplit. I use Xsplit to record EVERYTHING on my Youtube channel (http://youtube.com/KOHispanoGaming). So, I use local recording more than actually livestream. After testing a few games with OBS and Xsplit, I can certainly confirm that the games I tested have better performance on OBS.

This is an example: Sleeping Dogs. On the same settings, the local recording of Xsplit will have a very annoying stuttering. I have to lower the game-settings to have a smoother video. On OBS, the same quality that gave me problems with Xsplit, runs perfect.

I will continue to perform tests and support Xsplit. After all my license expires in 2 years :]
Reybilingue
XSplit User

by HellGreen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks for the support Reybilingue! We appreciate the words and I'm glad you found a niché that XSplit performs will in. However it would be nice to see some example, hard facts etc. "Same settings" might not be truly the same, or there's a slight buy significant difference in the way the test was performed (drivers, Windows updates, game patch/map/level etc).
HellGreen
Support Boss

by OldAssGamers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 am

I was about to make a post similiar to this one. I bought a licens few days ago and I got so pissed when I notice that OBS is so MUCH smoother in fps then xsplit and that program is free.

I do prefer xsplit when it comes to features, i love it. But now xsplit is not worth having because of obs is out there.

Xsplit staff when will 1.2 come out? I really need it. Eta? Also how much performance boost has it ?
OldAssGamers
XSplit User

by dpbBryan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

As for performance between streaming apps, we do regular benchmarks and we do not see a notable difference in our test lab. There might be a few FPS difference depending on the game, but if set up right (comparing apples and apples etc), there's little to none. As for stream quality, to be frank, that's really absurd to suggest, since we use the same encoder in x264. Use the same settings and you'll get the same quality - it's a hard fact. There's many parameters in streaming, so I'm not saying it's impossible to create, but it definitely shouldn't be so - that's all.

Would it be possible for you to release the numbers and test results? I'm curious myself to see.
dpbBryan
XSplit User

by HellGreen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

OldAssGamers wrote:Xsplit staff when will 1.2 come out? I really need it. Eta? Also how much performance boost has it ?

We released an RC yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=120&t=17001
The improvement depends on your setup really, but we still claim to have had the same performance as OBS on 1.1 (provided the proper settings depending on the capture method). With 1.2 we made a lot of the settings more error proof while adding optimizations and features. Still, I can't say anything conclusive without knowing your settings and setup.
HellGreen
Support Boss

by HellGreen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:07 am

dpbBryan wrote:Would it be possible for you to release the numbers and test results? I'm curious myself to see.

And the exact reproducible test case description please. :)
HellGreen
Support Boss

by OldAssGamers » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:55 pm

HellGreen wrote:
OldAssGamers wrote:Xsplit staff when will 1.2 come out? I really need it. Eta? Also how much performance boost has it ?

We released an RC yesterday: https://www.xsplit.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 20&t=17001
The improvement depends on your setup really, but we still claim to have had the same performance as OBS on 1.1 (provided the proper settings depending on the capture method). With 1.2 we made a lot of the settings more error proof while adding optimizations and features. Still, I can't say anything conclusive without knowing your settings and setup.

Well when adding a video source on OBS you have the possibility to change output type to YV12. Probably that was causes the performance boost? Can't find any feature that allows me to change the output type on xsplit. Is it possible?

Also what I notice is when adding Dxtory as a v ideo output on the OBS I have output type RGB32. Can't find this feature to change or edit this on xsplit. :(

If you want to, we can talk on skype and I can go through all my detalljs and config. Like i said, im using the exact same setup on xsplit as in OBS, and I see much more performance boost on obs with over 20 fps.
OldAssGamers
XSplit User

by Reybilingue » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 pm

I will be posting a video with a side by side comparison with Xsplit and OBS results. This is not meant to be disrespectful, like I said before, I LOVE Xsplit and I make all my videos with this great software. This is only to help improve Xsplit in any way possible.

Mod edit That's cool but a few tings I will recommend - a) wait for the public final release of 1.2 (It should be out pretty soon so you may not want to waste time to redo) b) Make sure to ask if your are in doubt of any settings or methods of test . c) If the ultimate goal is to make XSplit better then PM HellGreen with any test results you may come up where your tests shows that XSplit has lower performance in a function than another product ...if we can actually confirm your test in direct correspondence then that would contribute the most.
Reybilingue
XSplit User

by HellGreen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 am

Reybilingue wrote:I will be posting a video with a side by side comparison with Xsplit and OBS results. This is not meant to be disrespectful, like I said before, I LOVE Xsplit and I make all my videos with this great software. This is only to help improve Xsplit in any way possible.

As long as the results are documented and can be reproduced we're fine with it. Expect us to try the test case here.
HellGreen
Support Boss

by DAOWAce » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up about OBS. I heard about it last year but didn't bother checking it out since it was in alpha.

Still in alpha, but I've tried it out after the release of version 1.2 of Xsplit and will probably stay with it, mainly due to the developers of Xsplit deciding to remove bitrates higher than 80Kbps from the client, which results in people using anything before Windows 7 having really awful audio. OBS is MP3 for folks not on 7+, but at least they have up to 320kbps.

Also has most of the features of XSplit and runs a lot better (starts instantly, UI is simple and speedy); doesn't bog system down as much either, CPU usage is FAR lower, results in games running better; can do 1080p45 without much issue at all; whereas XSplit was wrecking my games at even basic 1080p30. Also has a native 64bit client to boot!

Shame that a free program is running better than one I've paid for. At least I bought the license when it was cheap; wouldn't even consider renewing now even if it was that price again due to alternative free software being better.
http://www.twitch.tv/daowace
http://www.youtube.com/AceStrife
I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.
DAOWAce
XSplit User
CPU: i7-3770K ~ 4.5GHz
RAM: 16GB G.Skill 7-8-7-24 2T 1600MHz
Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU2
Operating System: vLited Vista SP2 x64
Internet Connection: 120/35

by rclark1960 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:06 am

This thread popped up on reddit today:
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comme ... xsplit_12/

It seems pretty cut and dry to me. What exactly are you benchmarking internally?
rclark1960
XSplit User

by HellGreen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm

First: We will respond in detail to posts with questions next week. Please accept it's weekend and we can't work around the clock.

The following is my personal statement and not the one of Splitmedialabs Ltd:

One thing to note: Please be fair and do not post only to highlight other software. You can do that on other websites as much as you want. This is a feedback forum for XSplit and anything but that is not considered on topic and will be subject to moderation. Comparisons are a natural but please make sure benchmarks are done fair and in accordance with recommendations. We are more than happy to engage in communication directly with anyone doing a benchmark to ensure it's done right and optimally. Please run the results by us before you post them to ensure the best test possible.

This paragraph pertains to general forum rules, not this thread: Only posting to bad mouth us is obviously not welcome and will be moderated. We do not moderate constructive criticism (as claimed on the comments of a certain YouTube video). Please recognize this is not a public discussion forum and we decide what goes and what doesn't.

If you're affiliated with another streaming software it would be prudent and a show of good karma to put that in a disclaimer for the reader. In my own opinion it's borderline disrespectful to even post on a competitors home turf while deeply affiliated with a market competitor. It's against what I consider good ethics. I would never post on OBS's forum for any reasons whatsoever. Over the past 2-3 years XSplit has done a lot of good for the streaming communities - looking at OBS's interface and features in particular, I think it's pretty obvious where Jim got a lot of his inspiration from - that must mean we did something right to get here. We embrace competitors' existence and use it to fuel making our software better. There's no need to start a war or flame fest anywhere. The internet is big enough for all of us :)

To answer rumors on Reddit about proof being deleted, then I do moderate some posts in this thread. There has been two posters who got moderated (one for being too "verbal", who later calmed down and now has a post in this very thread), both were given detailed explanation in private messages. The video Warchamp posted I currently do not recognize as a valid comparison. It lacks basic documentation and actual data but first and foremost the video showcases a scenario wherein XSplit is run under a sub-optimal setup, and so the outcome is not a fair representation (which also happens to be confirmed in the video comments - and no conspiracies please, that was not posted by us). I can't help notice his affiliation with OBS, so I have no issue moderating it and as I said, he was given fair notice about this. There's no trying to cover up anything on our end - if we moderate, we have good reason and posters are told asap. However "versus" an open source project, there will always be reasons to hate on us, but flaming or spreading misinformation on our website will not be allowed.

/HellGreen
Support Manager
The XSplit Team

Please do not quote any of the above without the full context. Link to the post if you want.

I am locking this thread over the weekend as we cannot monitor the development. It WILL reopen come Monday when we are able to respond to comments.
HellGreen
Support Boss